Sunday, July 3, 2016

Week 10 - Hong Kong!

Well, I didn't get to email when I first got here, so I have been here for 6 days now! My trainer in Elder Jensen from Ephraim Utah and he actually turns 19 today. So yeah I'm a year older than my trainer, and I have about 6 inches on him. 

We got picked up at the air port by president and sister Lam and the assistants. i asked them if the heat was as bad as i remembered it at the end of June, and they said "it isn't actually that bad today" we then walk outside and i started immediately sweating haha. Elder Earls' glasses actually fogged up a couple of seconds after we walked outside haha.

My first 2 nights I stayed at the mission home in Kowloon and I felt like everyone I talked knows my grandma which is crazy, the office Elders, Mission President and his wife, and the AP's. and I also had a dinner appointment with one of my mom's friends here! On Thursday, I met my trainer and had to say bye to my entire district, except Elder Earls, who actually lives in my apartment. I was assigned to the Tuen Mun area in the New Territories and is like a hour outside of town. The second I got there we went to 3 straight lessons, so you can say my first day was really long. It was a lot of walking in the extreme heat and humidity. Our last lesson was a good 30 minute walk from the nearest light rail station into the boonies of our area out in the middle of nowhere haha. And let me tell you! You remember i thought my Chinese was decent? Well that was a lie! I've realized the teachers speak super slow and really simple in order for you to understand! I can't understand anything being said here! Luckily Elder Jensen's Chinese is super good and he did a lot of the talking
with me jumping in with a simple testimony and stuff like that.

So in Hong Kong  the schedule is from 7am to 11pm, but we wake up at 6:30 to go play basketball at the park, so no 8 hours of sleep for a while! There are 6 Elders in my apartment and there is like no space in it. We got 6 beds in a tiny living room and its super hot because we only get 2 hours of air condition a day and 8 for sleeping. So have accepted that I'll be sweating 24/7 until Octoberish.

On Wednesday we  volunteer at a charity called crossroads. It's located at a old refugee camp, and it's really run down so we usually do maintenance and clean up there. the regular volunteers do more of the day to day work such as shipping and that stuff.

Yesterday one of our investigators Sister Chan had her baptismal interviews and she passed!! so we got a baptism next Sunday! Her testimony is strong and she really had a desire to be baptized! she started tearing up when she bore her testimony in our last lesson!!

So yesterday was my first Sunday, I had to bear my testimony in Chinese for the first time in front of a group, and they had me and my companion sit on the stand with the Bishopric. I said like 3 words but I think it went well I guess. 

So right now I'm in Kowloon emailing in a Apple store with about 20 other Elders, so I guess this is the place to hangout on P-day. We have like our own little section in the store!

I'm running low on time, but that's about it.Ii love it here even if I'm constantly feeling super gross, but the work is growing here in Hong Kong!!

love you all

Elder Eveson



Last week in MTC 

We left MTC to Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment