Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Week 11 - 2 weeks in Hong Kong

Yay I've been in Hong Kong for almost 2 weeks now!! I'm still adjusting to all the heat and humidity. Actually I've just accepted I'll be sweating 24/7 for the next couple of months because AC is really like really expensive here and we only get 2 hours of it a day and sleeping time. The nice thing is we do teach most of our lessons at the chapel which has AC but sadly we do all of our studying in the apartment, and as I was thinking of what I was gonna say this week I realized I have like nothing to say, so here is a short shpeel about my week. We kill alot of cockroahes every night. I get alot of mosqito bites here, which was something I wasn't expecting. Oh and did I mention it's hot here?? ok well here are a couple things from this week. 

This week went great. Sister Chan, one of our investigators, got baptized the same day as her granddaughter and it was great to have her entire family there even though some are inactive or not members. Both her and her granddaughter were both super excited to finally be baptized. She has such a strong testimony of the gospel, and it has been a great experience to teach her even with my limited Cantonese.

On average, we teach 2-3 lessons a day and during the free time we will go finding in the hot sun. I've been asked what do I eat here, and I eat a lot of bakery for dinner. There are a couple of shops by the chapel and it is dirt cheap. I can buy enough bakery to fill me for the rest of the day for like 2 dollars. 

So last p day we decided to just play basketball with another set of Elders (Elder Chen and Peterson) at a different chapel, and for some reason we couldn't get the hoop down. We tried it like 30 times and it didn't work. So we grabbed like a 100 chairs and used it as a net to play some badminton. After that and failing to get the nets down again, we decided to shoot with the hoops up and of course we got the ball stuck. Let's just say we got both of Elder Chen's shoes stuck on top of the backboard trying to gett it down. After about 20 minutes of trying to get his shoes down, another set of Elders showed up and lowered the hoop with the exact same keys we were using. So the moral of the story is we will never give the keys to Elder Chen again.

We did have one cool experience this week while finding. We were on a bridge, and my trainer was like "which way do you want to go, and I was like immmmm let's choose the right. The very first person who was an old man we talked to for about 20 minutes, about his previous religion and about Jesus Christ, and it turned out he had a pass along cards from some sister missionaries in his pocket from about 8 months ago! Isn't that crazy!! He was really interested and said if he wasn't so sick all the time that he would definitely be willing to go to church. The only bad thing is that he doesn't have a phone, but he did tell us where we could find him at anytime of the day. That was a great experience to me because I thought I was choosing a random direction to go, but instead we were lead right to someone who wanted to listen to our message. ( I am now home and editing this 3 years later but i wanted to talk about what happened to him after this. We taught brother Lee every once in a while at the park we met him in. He had a very serious form of cancer which prevented him from being able to really progress. He was always really nice to us, but over time lost his faith in God due to his lack of health. we continued to swing by while we were finding just to say hi, but sadly that's all that really happened.)

This week we are emailing in a library and planning to go to some turf fields to play soccer. We don't really know we are going to do because it's raining, and apparently a typhoon could come in today, so yeah that's fun.

So it's still really hot and humid, but I still love it here, and I am grateful for the opportunity to serve the Lord here in Hong Kong, so until next week!!

Love ya all

Elder Eveson



So I have been lacking on my picture taking and have 1 from this week and it isn't a good one, so sorry I promise some next week

No comments:

Post a Comment